My Purchasing/Buying Experience from AmiAmi (Japanese Character & Hobby Online Store) for Pokemon TCGs and Items from Malaysia Using PayPal

Thought that I would like to share my first oversea purchase from the nation of the rising sun, Nihon or Japan!

I had to admit, being a young adult, having a hobby like CCG (collectables card games) is usually frown upon by parents. And that is so true in my case. Regardless, I earned my own money and my wallet answers to no one but myself, or at least that is the case for now.

Anyways, I might be the latecomers when I say that I am purchasing some Pokemon TCG Gaia Volcano/Tidal Storm (or also known as Primal Clash in English) Booster Boxes since it was released roughly one or two months back.


AmiAmi website with a very tangerine looks. Kinda reminds me of Mirai Suenaga mascot from Culture Japan founded by Danny Choo. Any Japanese fans or otaku is bound to know him :-P

Mirai Suenaga about page from Culture Japan. Uses the same tangerine theme :-)

Why I choose to Purchase from AmiAmi?

  • They have their own English site in accompany with their native Japanese website. This is not some site that uses Google Translate as the language translation. They actually designed a totally new site just for their non-native buyers like us! They certainly know their market demographic well enough :-P
  • They featured easy to navigate website
  • They are (or claim to be) the largest online hobby shop in Japan
  • They carry a wide variety of Japanese goodies, e.g. figurines, trading cards, collectables. Anything that you want, they got it, provided they are the latest ones. They are very seldom to restock old items. But when they do, you'll be in a treat for sure!
  • They accept pre-order or backorder for new items
  • They offers multiple shipping options, e.g. EMS (recommended), SAL, and other. From where I am from, i.e. Malaysia, the shipping cost might be considerably lower than the America or Europe.
  • Great and friendly customer service, living up to the norm that we know of Japan from textbook or even in real life! They calculate the shipping cost manually after receiving confirmed orders from you instead of basing on some automated calculation like most online shops did. They will then send the email alongside with a payment link (e.g. PayPal) for making the payment.

Here is a screenshot of their Pokemon TCG selections:
Pokemon TCG merchandises
As shown, each Gaia Volcano/Tidal Storm booster box is only sold at 2550 JPY (RM78 or USD21), which is 21% off its retail price of 3240 JPY (RM 99 or USD27)! Just for price reference, eBay listings is showing a staggering price tag of USD37.99!
eBay listings for Gaia Volcano Booster Box at a much higher price tag

Enough of the sales pitch of why I chose to purchase from AmiAmi, here comes the items that I ordered. I chose to ship using EMS and pay using PayPal :-)


A family of Pokemon TCG merchandises :)

Receiving an automated email telling me that they acknowledged receiving my confirmed order to make sure my order does indeed go through their system.

Order acknowledgement from AmiAmi


Payment request from AmiAmi (top)

Payment request from AmiAmi (bottom)

Using PayPal to make the payment.
Using PayPal to make the payment
AmiAmi acknowledging my PayPal payment

AmiAmi shipped out my items, YAY!


Summary

To recap, I received a total of 4 different emails from AmiAmi before they started to ship my item. The entire process is very smooth and I do like their friendly human intervention rather than some automated response.

Below is a brief transcript of the entire order process.

Submitting order - 1/13/2015 (Tuesday) 3:11PM
Payment request - 1/14/2015 (Wednesday) 10:41AM
Payment acknowledgement - 1/14/2015 (Wednesday) 12:31PM
Shipping - 1/15/2015 (Friday) 7:47PM



And here is the tracking information from JapanPost website (EMS):
Tracking result from JapanPost website

Tracking result from PosLaju (Malaysia's designated EMS courier)

 Note that the items from PosLaju website is slower to update than the Japan tracking site. It actually took a day for the tracking details to reflect on the PosLaju website.

As per AmiAmi's shipping policy, they are totally abide to it and hence they DO NOT markdown the total value in their shipping invoice as this is a fraud by law. In fact, this is EXPLICITLY mentioned in their FAQ pages for Shipping.

AmiAmi's shipping policy for custom


FYI Malaysia custom will only impose tax for items valued above RM500 (~USD 138), and this includes CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight/Shipping). This is why the item is being regarded as High-value goods as per the latest update. I could only hope that they will not retain it and ask me for import tax valued at 20% (10% MFN duty + 10% sales tax) according to DutyCalculator for items categorized under Toys>Playing Cards (HF Tariff Code 9504.40.000). In other words, I will have to pay the tax amounting ~RM195/USD54 should that misfortune does bestowed upon me :-(

Import taxes for Toys & Games > Playing Cards (HF Tariff Code: 9504.40.000) in Malaysia

Updates on 22/01/2015

The worst nightmare had befalled on me. Received a letter of detainment issued by the Custom Department in PosLaju Johor Bahru which was sent yesterday. It was delivered by PosLaju this afternoon. For one second though, I actually thought that it could be the parcel that I am waiting for :( According to the letter, I have three choices:
- Appoint PosLaju as the agent and pay a handler fee of RM49.50 plus whatever tax charge that they are going to imposed from the shipment
- Appoint someone else as the agent
- Approach them in person

Given that I don't have spare time to travel all the way to Johor Bahru to declare and claim the parcel, the immediate response is to appoint PosLaju as the agent. I am not willing to sent it back and refund since I've waited so long for this. And frankly, though not justifiable, I can still accept RM100-150 of tax charges.



They also require me to send them any invoices from seller. Instead of asking AmiAmi for it, I decided to just sent the PayPal invoice along with my Order Item Page from AmiAmi. I then printed those documents, sealed it into an envelope, put a 60 cents stamp fee, and post it out using normal 'slow-mail'. Then it hit me, since they have the email address stated on top of the letter, I decided to send an email to them too for faster response.

PosLaju JB Customs Email
Although email is not mentioned as a way to response to them (fax and post are accepted), I decided to try it out anyways in attempt to get a faster response.

Method to response
My email inquiries to PosLaju Custom JB.

To my surprise, I actually gotten a response from them right after I'm back from posting. As per the reply they charges me RM146.20 and will send it to the local PosLaju branch near my place on Saturday. I'm guessing that they do not operate on Friday since it is considered as public holiday in Johor along with some northern states like Penang, Terengganu, etc.

Email response from custom officer on duty for my previous inquiry sent one hour after. Not bad for efficiency :)

Oh well, what can I do more but to wait :-)

---

Updates on February 2


Alright. So the package finally arrived after being held by the customs for almost a week! I ended up paying RM348 or USD 95 for it. Well just hope that I'll have a decent pulls of Pokemon Cards. :-]














14 comments

hello, may i know how and where did you pay the handling fees of pos laju, import taxes, etc?

Reply

Shopify is a one-stop shop. The user interface is powerful, yet easy to use. Their site-building software offers a huge number of tools and features, allowing users to create a beautiful and professional looking web store in almost no time at all. You can get started with shopify now.

Reply

This website seems like the card collectors dreamland. How easy is it to ship things back to Japan if you don't get what you ultimately needed? I know that sometimes it can take a while to get because the shipment overseas can take a while but it sounds like it doesn't take a really long time. That would be nice because then you aren't waiting for your money to be refunded for weeks. http://yamatoamerica.com/en/business/index.aspx

Reply

Holy crap does it actually happen (shipping costs and poslaju) for every purchase on amiami? if thats so its really a rip off imo

Reply

I think this article will fully complement you article. PLease continue publishing helpful topics like this. Regards, from Always Open Commerce

Reply

SEJA INTELIGENTE E SEJA RICO EM MENOS DO QUE 3DAYS .... Tudo depende de quão rápido você
Pode ser obter o novo cartão de ATM em branco PROGRAMADO que é capaz de piratear
Em qualquer caixa eletrônico, em qualquer lugar do mundo. Eu conheci esse BLANK
ATM CARD quando eu estava procurando emprego on-line há cerca de um mês ...
Realmente mudou minha vida para sempre e agora posso dizer que sou rico e nunca posso
Seja pobre de novo. O mínimo de dinheiro que recebo em um mês com isso é sobre
$ 50,000. (Cinquenta mil dólares) Todos os dias eu estou acumulando dinheiro em meu
conta. Embora seja ilegal, não há risco de ser pego, porque tem
Foi programado de tal forma que não é rastreável, também possui uma
Técnica que torna impossível para os CCTVs detectá-lo ... Para detalhes
Sobre como obter o seu hoje, envie um email para os hackers: blankatm@outlook.com
. Diga também a seu amado uma vez e comece a viver grande. Isso é simples
Testemunho de como minha vida mudou para sempre ... Amo-te a todos ... o endereço de e-mail
Novamente é: blankatm@outlook.com
Ligar ou enviar texto: +15164003007

Reply

SEJA INTELIGENTE E SEJA RICO EM MENOS DO QUE 3DAYS .... Tudo depende de quão rápido você
Pode ser obter o novo cartão de ATM em branco PROGRAMADO que é capaz de piratear
Em qualquer caixa eletrônico, em qualquer lugar do mundo. Eu conheci esse BLANK
ATM CARD quando eu estava procurando emprego on-line há cerca de um mês ...
Realmente mudou minha vida para sempre e agora posso dizer que sou rico e nunca posso
Seja pobre de novo. O mínimo de dinheiro que recebo em um mês com isso é sobre
$ 50,000. (Cinquenta mil dólares) Todos os dias eu estou acumulando dinheiro em meu
conta. Embora seja ilegal, não há risco de ser pego, porque tem
Foi programado de tal forma que não é rastreável, também possui uma
Técnica que torna impossível para os CCTVs detectá-lo ... Para detalhes
Sobre como obter o seu hoje, envie um email para os hackers: blankatm@outlook.com
. Diga também a seu amado uma vez e comece a viver grande. Isso é simples
Testemunho de como minha vida mudou para sempre ... Amo-te a todos ... o endereço de e-mail
Novamente é: blankatm@outlook.com
Ligar ou enviar texto: +15164003007

Reply

I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card i heard about on-line because everything seems too good to be true, but i was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got the card from DAVID BENJAMIN COMPANY & we both confirmed it really works, without delay i gave it a go. I have been able to make a cash withdrawal of $5000 daily from the card and am glad i gave it a try at last & this card has really changed my life financially and no more hanging bills. If you need this card from genuine hackers then do not hesitate to contact davidbenjaminltd@outlook.com

Reply

They additionally expect me to send them any solicitations from vender. Rather than requesting it, I chose to simply sent the PayPal receipt alongside my Order Item Page from . I at that point printed those archives, fixed it into an envelope, put a 60 pennies stamp expense, and post it out utilizing ordinary 'moderate mail'. At that point it hit me, since they have the email address expressed over the letter, I chose to send an email to them too for quicker reaction. Someone to Write my Essay

Reply

Are you looking for a business loan, personal loans, mortgages, car
loans, student loans, debt consolidation loans, unsecured loans, risk
capital, etc. ... You are in the right place
Your loan solutions! I am a private lender who lends
Individuals and businesses at a low interest rate and affordable
Interest rate of 3%. Contact us by email: powerfinance7@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION FORM
**********************
Your full name:
Country/State:
Loan Amount:
Duration
Phone:
Monthly income:
Occupation:

Awaiting your swift response.
May Allah bless you.
IBRAHIM MUSA
power Financial Service Pvt.
Contact Us At :powerfinance7@gmail.com
WhatsApp Number +919717357946

Reply

Hi everyone, i am Chloe Raymond am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email brianloancompany@yahoo.com, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: BRIANLOANCOMPANY@YAHOO.COM or Call/Text +1(803) 373-2162

Reply

Hello
Borrowers looking for an online personal loan from Upstart can expect funding for anywhere between $5,000 and $1,000.000.Dollars This is a standard range compared to many competitors. Like the other best companies, you can obtain both large and small personal loans.Do you need a loan at 3%? We offer all kinds of loans, We offer Business Loans, Car Loan,s House Loans, Christmas Loan. Kindly contact us if you need a loan. Call or text us +18485653174 or Email": dflint466@gmail.com or douglasjo466@chef.net for more info
Mr Douglas Flint

Reply

INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
See how it works
Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked Atm card??
Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...
Order for a blank Atm card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
via email address:: ( illuminatinetweb@gmail.com )
We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
stores and POS.
you order for::
Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $355 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $550 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $3670 USD


make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

The price include shipping fees and charges , order now: contact us via
email address::( illuminatinetweb@gmail.com )
CONTACT US TODAY TO GET YOUR CARD AND ENJOY FREE CASH!!!
( illuminatinetweb@gmail.com )

Reply
Mrs Wilecia Berbana mod

What an incredible story in my life, I am Mrs Wilecia Berbana ,currently living in New York City, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation. Last two months i needed to refinance and pay my bills and some others serious debt. I was looking for a loan of $ 650,000.00 USD then I apply for a loan in one of the on-line loan company where i was scam about $3,800,00 usd in lending in the UK, but when I put the complain my good friend told me that the only place to get a loan on-line is CONSUMER LOAN FIRM the company is 100% guarantee that if I apply in a business loan I am to get the loan without any delay in the transaction, so i did, with a great fear in my heart not to loose money for the second time. My brothers and sister i want to let you know that there are still good people in the world we can trust and have faith on. With the advice of my friend in which I ask the company for a loan last week and to my greatest surprise i just got my loan yesterday. My hope and trust was all gone but now i new there are real loan firm we can trust. Am using this opportunity to inform you all that if you are in need of a loan, do not go else where so sick for a loan. i have found a real loan lender that can help you because he told me that the success of the societies is his pride i want you to sick for a loan in CONSUMER LOAN FIRM. Here are the company email: consumerloanfirm@gmail.com And i promise you that your life will never remain the same again, I will be waiting to hear your own testimony. Mrs Wilecia Berbana

Reply

Post a Comment

If you found this article or post helpful to you, feel free to enter your comments below ;)